Section 8(a) of the Small Business Act as amended by Congress, created the 8(a) business development program. This program enables SBA to assist small disadvantaged firms to develop their businesses. In applying to the program, a firm is rigorously evaluated on its ownership, operations, financial health, and past performance. Once accepted, the firm is required to provide SBA a detailed business plan and annually show continued success as a viable, strong business entity. Firms that are approved are certified by the SBA for a period of nine years. The SBA has signed Memorandums of Understanding (MOUs) with Federal Agencies allowing them to contract directly with certified 8(a) firms. Participants can receive sole source contracts, up to a ceiling of $4.0 million for goods and services, and $6.5M for manufacturing
The 8(a) sole source vehicle provides agencies a simplified and shortened acquisition procedure:
- Greatly reduced cycle time: the time required to award an 8(a) sole source contract has been dramatically reduced and can be accomplished in a few weeks.
- Lowered administrative costs: procurement process costs associated with a lengthy contracting process are reduced to a minimum.
- Best price value: your contracting agency negotiates with SIGMA Environmental Solutions, Inc. directly to get the best value.
- Your organization receives small business credit for promoting small business participation.
- Contracts can be initiated with a simple high level statement of work.
- There is no protest process that could delay the start of needed work.
- Your organization is assured of getting the company you want, know and trust to conduct the work.